Saturday 17 January 2009

The 31 Day Challenge - Day 1

Well, the first challenge was to send an email to a new reader. Sounds easy, but I was really worried about this one. I am quite shy and I felt that emailing someone who didn't know me personally would be intruding. I even felt that the other person might feel I was spamming them.

However, when Magical Bill said in his comment that he was taking the Challenge as well, I was relieved. That meant he knew this was an assignment and I wasn't spamming him at all. His address was in his profile, so I sent him a quick 'thank you' email.

Maybe the way I feel about this is completely wrong. I have never received an email after posting a comment so far. When I do, I'll tell you how that felt.

I also completed the Day 2 task for Beginners - I created the About Me page. Or rather, it is an About Me column. If you know of a way to create a separate About Me page in Blogger, please let me know. Your comments on what I actually wrote in the About Me section are also welcome.

You might also like:
Days 6 and 8


If you like this blog, you can subscribe to it via RSS or via email.

Technorati Tags:


6 comments:

Gabriela Sellart said...

Hi Natasa! It's really interesting the way you found to speak about yourself. I sometimes read the last part of articles first. That was what I did with your "About me" note. So when I read "she is a writer..." "She is a teacher..." I was hooked. I needed to know why you had changed to the third person!
I've never sent an email to a new reader. But whenever a new reader writes a comment I always go to their blog and comment back.

Natasa said...

Hi Gabriela!
I do the same thing as you. In fact, I am looking at your Blogger profile at the moment. I can see that we have both been in teaching for a long time. I have also seen many teaching trends come and go and, like you, I run from the keyboard to the board marker.
I am so glad you like my writing. It means a lot to me.

Colin Becker said...

Hi Natasa,
I felt a little strange emailing people I hadn't really met. I thought they might think I was pushy. To avoid this, I had the 31 days to better blogging and the name of my blog in the subject line so that they could at least see that it was relevant.
Today, for the first time I wrote a comment on a blog that I like that didn't quite support what the writer was saying. I wasn't rude, but I disagreed. I felt really uncomfortable about this, but I hope that they will take it as constructive and not just being critical. Good luck with the project.

Natasa said...

Hi Colin,
I am relieved to know that other people have felt strange about emailing their new readers.
I feel it is important that we shouldn't only praise, but also be able to criticise or disagree. I always have a problem when I need to criticise someone. Since I am a teacher, it isn't a good thing. I am sure the other person will appreciate your comment.
Thank you for your support.

Sheri said...

Hi Natasa - I'm not sure how I stumbled on to your blog tonight. But, I read your entry on Google analytics and I like your style. So, what exactly is the challenge? Are there rules? I've never heard of it so I am a little curious.

Natasa said...

Hi Sheri,
I am really glad you stumbled on my blog and like the way I write. You can find out more about the 31 Day Challenge here: http://31daychallenge.wikispaces.com/
I read about it on Twitter and decided to join because I would like to improve my blogging skills. It is great fun, though it is taking me ages. There is no deadline and I believe you can still join if you feel like it.
I have just seen your blog, we seem to have a lot in common.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...